Unicorn cupcakes

Thursday, August 24, 2017









This past Wednesday it was one of my young women from church birthday! So I made these fun DIY unicorn cupcakes, and this was my first time EVER attempting a multicolor swirled frosting, and oh boy it was fun!

I'll include the frosting recipe below. I used a chocolate cake mix, since her favorite is chocolate, I always freeze my cupcakes before I frost them, this helps keep them moist, plus helps me plan ahead of time, so I don't have to bake the cupcakes, wait for them to cool, frost than decorate!


Here's how to make these:
Swirl Frosting I divided the frosting into 4 batches, mixed the food coloring in, put the frosting in a bag, then I put the frosting into individual pipping bags, flatted them.

Frosting Tip I put all the frosting bags in one pipping bag with a large star tip. Just apply pressure and squeeze until all the colors com out evenly.

Unicorn Horns + Ears I used gum paste, premade, you can buy it here or you can purchase it from hobby lobby. I rolled out the horns into a snake shape with tapered ends, put the tapered ends together and twisted the gumpaste. For the ears I used a tear drop shape cookie cutter and pinched the rounded sides together. Here's a good step by step image I used for making mine.

After the gumpaste dries I used this gold dusting glitter to brush onto the horns. To get the glitter to stay you'll need to drip a brush in vodka then the dusting glitter and brush it on.

Butter Cream Frosting:
  • 3 cups Powdered sugar
    1 pinch Salt
    1 tsp Vanilla extract
    1 cup Butter, unsalted
    2 tbsp Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream



No comments:

Post a Comment